Thursday 28 June 2012

Earthquakes ruin everything

As I mentioned yesterday, my plan was to spend today in Modena, a town in Emilia-Romagna (less than 2 hours from Ravenna by train), famous for balsamic vinegar, as well as Ferraris and Maseratis.  What I hadn't considered was that a massive earthquake struck Italy not too long ago.  There wasn't any visible damage or anything (I have no idea how badly Modena got it), but just about every church I saw was closed, as was the museum I was hoping to go to (it houses numerous illuminated manuscripts.  So, I got there and had very little to do.  On the plus side, I had a FABULOUS lunch, at this place:

Trattoria Aldina, on the second floor
I had Tortellini in a Ragu sauce, thin sliced roast beef with some sort of delicious dressing, a salad, and fresh fruit with a scoop of vanilla gelato on top, as well as some Sangiovese and an espresso.  Absolutely wonderful!  Had I known everything else in the city would be closed I would have just gone out to a nice restaurant here in Ravenna, but oh well.  The town itself was nice anyway.  Here are a couple pictures I snapped as well:




So, all in all, very little to report today.  But tomorrow it's off to Rome, so it's probably for the best that I didn't walk for hours and hours today, because I certainly will from tomorrow until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment